Saturday, November 12, 2016

On The Wire

I'm a sucker for a good metaphor. I honestly think you can turn anything into a metaphor for something else if you think long enough.

Well, this week I saw these shoes hanging from a telephone wire, and I love those shoes (Vans Sk8-Hi's).

I was a little tiny bit outraged that someone would throw the best shoes ever over a telephone wire, never to be worn again. But here's my little metaphor for you. Actually wait, this isn't a metaphor, it's more of a life lesson (which is all I ever seem to preach talk about on here). Scratch the beginning of this post, it doesn't have to do with this picture. Or does it? I don't care, you decide.

But ok here is what I actually wanted to say: Maybe the person who threw those shoes over that wire did it because the shoes reminded him of his ex-girlfriend who broke his heart and he never wants to see them again (note: he lives in Salt Lake so he won't be back here anytime soon). Or maybe whoever did it has decided to go against societal norms and never again will wear shoes. Or maybe he is an artist and thought it would be beautiful and profound for only a reason he knows. Or maybe it was a drug dealer indicating that he is selling dope nearby (isn't that what it's supposed to mean?) 

Honestly I have no idea why those beautiful shoes were on the wire. And it made me realize this: we often see what we want to see. I love those shoes so I thought whoever would waste them is a dummy. But we usually don't know someone's full story. We only know our own. If we aren't so quick to judge, we can appreciate the beauty of a person, whatever the situation we're looking at may be. Now that I look at this picture, it looks so melancholy but beautiful at the same time and I love it. If we're not so quick to judge others, we can see their beauty.

Also, here's a survey about these shoes. Who likes 'em?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/T6LGFT3

2 comments:

  1. Lindsay,
    I loved your thought process here. Especially when you came to the conclusion that we see what we need to see. It's such a talent to be able to look at someone without previous expectations and to see who they really are. I really admire people that are able to do that. I could only hope that someone would be able to do the same for me as well. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting take on the theory of walking a mile in someone else's shoes. We really have no idea what is going on inside a person, and judging them for the choices and decisions that they make will only make it worse. Looking at thing sin a new perspective is crucial right now in our history as people get offended over the silliest things. Trying to understand one another will make the world a better place. As for the shoes.. it's probably drugs.

    ReplyDelete